Saturday, January 9, 2010

Wetlands

Happy New Year!

We've had a stretch of wonderfully warm weather here in Southern California, it's been in the high 70s for long enough that we've been heading out in t-shirts without bothering to check the weather report.

This week our nature study group headed out to the Bolsa Chica Wetlands, a conservancy that is home to many migratory birds.

There was visibly more algae in the water than usual, which the "Amigos de Bolsa Chica" website said is typical in the Spring with warmer water. Perhaps the algae doesn't know it isn't Spring yet?



I just love this sign!






The kids love it here too - although they often scare the birds away with their loud voices :)



My friend Arica took this one - reminds me of an Ansel Adams.



In the afternoon, the marine layer began rolling in. Fog always makes a place seem so dreamy to me - like in fairy tales. I love it.





On our walk back, we found three Great Blue Herons perched in the same trees where we saw their nest in the Spring. Jen thought they must be the young birds still sticking close to the nest. Can you see all three?



Here's a picture I took of the nest back on Feb. 28, 2009. It looks so messy and loose to hold such big birds. I could still see the nest there in the same tree, but I neglected to take a picture of it this time.





To another year of exploring divine nature!

I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year,
with thee, O Father, as my harbour,
thee, O Son, at my helm,
thee, O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.

~New Year prayer from The Valley of Vision

1 comment: