Monday, January 18, 2010

Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain and more Rain!

When they predict rain in California, it's relative. But when they say it's going to rain for 5 days in a row - you know you're going to get some spurts of real rain in there. It is a rather momentous thing around here since we've been in a heavy duty drought for some time now.

Figuring they meant some sprinkling here and there, we headed out for a Sunday afternoon hike. I've seen this trail called Ladera Ridge, but I'm not sure what it's official name is. I took these pictures on the way home so it's much wetter than it was when we started.

Here's the start of the paved road that leads up to the trail...



You can see it from the parking lot of The Ranch Sports and Grill in Ladera Ranch.



Heading up the paved road, there's a water tower up on the left.



Here's the start of the trail off on the right, about 3/4 of the way up to the water tower.



This is a short, but steep uphill climb up to the ridgeline



Here are the views looking back over Ladera





Here's the communications tower at the top of the hill



And here's why it's so worth the climb...



Even with it being overcast, it is still a fantastic view. Pictures don't do justice. The hills just keep rolling and rolling into the mountains beyond. Invigorating... completely. And look, it's turned green from the last time we had rain

At the top, you can go right or left. We headed to the right this time, I believe it's Southeast.



I was amazed at how much life has already sprung up in response to the last rainfall we had.

Dodder...



Lemonadeberry...



Deerweed...



I thought this might be wild grape, but I came home and looked it up...



It's wild cucumber or "manroot" which produces spiky fruit in the spring.



See how it travels? I've seen this stuff take over an entire oak tree.



I'm not sure what this is, but it's cute :)



Bindweed...



More views... those mountains all the way over there are the same ones I blogged pictures of on the Vista trail post a couple weeks ago. They're also in this blog's header. They are the twin peaks of the Santa Ana Mountains. Santiago Peak (5,687ft) and Modjeska Peak (5496ft) named after a world famous Polish stage actress whose historic home, by the way, is available for tours.


Mountain Lion bait.



The Hills Are Alive...



A little friend found along the way. I wonder where he'll go in the rain.



It was worth the trip - even on a rainy day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of all your great hikes! I so wanted to go on a hike this weekend, but felt horribly sick since Fri morning. Aaron took the boys to the Griffith Observatory and they hiked some of the hills afterward. They all had a blast and he promised to take me there when I'm up for it. Until then I'll just read your blog and add these places to the list of hikes I want to do.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who new all this was so close (actually my hubby probably does since I think he rides back there), I think we'll have to head out there sometime soon with the whole fam! We've been heading over to the trails that over look the golf course and home depot, on the other side of Ladera. Thanks for sharing!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great hike. I love the closeup of the twining vine. Is bindweed another name for morning glory vine? They look very similar.

    I must admit, I've read your last few post with a wry smile - rain and hail - we've had drought here for 14 years!! Oh my - you have all our rain this year, so far, I think!

    I'm enjoying your blog! Off now to check your other one out.

    ReplyDelete