Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In Our Front Yard

Look at what my daughter found on our Salvia 'Hot Lips' bush today. Can you guess what on earth it is?



I knew right away, because I had searched for it for some time last year after seeing a pregnant Praying Mantis. It should hatch sometime next Spring - something to look forward to already!

Here's a picture of that Praying Mantis I took over a year ago. Maybe it's Grandma to the babies in this egg sac. It's amazing how that little black dot of any eye will follow you around as you observe it.





This was her very pregnant abdomen:




I found this exoskeleton the same day. I had no idea they molted.




Can you see her in this picture?
She sits right beneath the flower, in perfect position to attack her oblivious prey.




Success!




I spent some more time looking into our pond last night. Observing nature - even if it's in yucky pond water - somehow brings a dose of peace to my often keyed up state.

I flashed a light in to see what was going on in this other world resting on our table. Here's a video of what I saw. The voices in the background are my family talking about 'Baba' - grandma - flying in an airplane today.




I have no idea where to begin to identify these worms. Being bottom dwellers, I bet they are decomposing something in the mud. I'm happy they're in there and not out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment